Friday, February 23, 2007

Book 9: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Normally, I'm not a big fan of mystery novels. However, 50books.com gave these books such good reviews that when I saw this one on sale over the weekend, I just had to give it a shot.



It's the first in a series that currently has 8 books (I think) by Alexander McCall Smith. It follows the adventures of a lady detective, Mma. Precious Ramotswe, in Botwana. I read a blurb somewhere that compared these books to the Judge Dee books by Robert van Gulik, which is an odd coincidence, since that is the one other mystery I own.

I can safely say that this is much better than Judge Dee.

One of the things I enjoyed most was not the mystery aspect of the books (which was also good), but the descriptions of life in Botswana and the commentary on her society that Precious gives. I don't want to say too much, since it is a mystery, but the biggest case she takes on in this book concerns a boy kidnapped by witch doctors.

A good, quick, fulfilling read. I will buy the rest of the series.

No comments: