Thursday, May 3, 2007

Book 14: Stardust

I loves me some Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess, so when I saw this at the comic shop (I was shopping for the boyfriend's birthday, shut up) I couldn't NOT pick it up.



A few days after I bought it, I got very, very sick. I also realized that due to my reader's block, I hadn't read anything for this list in almost a month and a half, so I needed to read something, and quick. I made a stack of graphic novels on my bedside table that I'd been meaning to read, and polished them all off in about two days. Go me!

But back to Stardust. The story is magnificent, creative, original, enveloping. The real icing on the cake for me was Charles Vess' artwork; I already owned the paperback version of this book, and I was completely unaware there was an edition that he had illustrated. I can't even imagine reading that one first, since Vess' artwork just MADE this book for me.

The plot: A young man, filled with hopeless unrequited love, promises the object of his affections that he will retrieve a falling star for her. To accomplish this, he must leave his village and go across the border into the realm of faerie. However, the fallen star is not just a star, but a person, and he is not the only one looking for here. I won't say anymore, I don't want to ruin the plot. Trust me, though, it was very good!

Fun fact: I hear they're making it into a move, starring Claire Danes. It comes out in August, I think? We'll see if it's any good.

No comments: