Thursday, May 3, 2007

Book 16 & 17: The Mean Seasons and Homelands

I love this series of comic books. The basic plot is that they've taken all the characters from fables and fairy tales, and they live together in a neighborhood in New York City. The rest of the mundane folk, or "mundys," don't know they exist. They're trying to get back to the homelands, where they came from. These are the fifth and sixth collections in the series.





I really enjoyed these, and I have heard that "Homelands" is many fans' favorite so far in the series, but I think I still prefer "March of the Wooden Soldiers." In order to avoid spoilers, I will just say that in "The Mean Seasons," we learn a secret about Snow White's pups (fathered by Bigby Wolf), and in "Homelands," we finally learn the identity of the adversary, the evil entity that chased all our favorite fables out of the homelands. It's a surprise, I honestly never suspected his true identity. I'm glad it was a character that we already knew, though, and not some new unknown character. It's much more satisfying this way.

I just heard that the next volume (or perhaps two) are out, so I'll have to pick those up soon. I am dying to know where Bigby's been all this time!

No comments: