Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Book 23: A Storm of Swords

This is the big book I've been working on for a few weeks now:



I affectionately call it my "big dumb fantasy novel," and while it is big (1128 pages plus appendices!), it is certainly not dumb. It is the third in a planned series of seven books by George R. R. Martin loosely based on the War of the Roses.

The books follow several characters from different families as they each try to get their own house to the throne. I'm not even going to try to recap the plot, but I will say one of the reasons I love this series is that no one is really "the bad guy," and the author apparently has no problem killing off main characters. I mean, this is the third book in this series I've read, and I was STILL surprised at which characters he chose to kill off. I'll read the rest, for sure. This is not your typical fantasy story; it's mostly political maneuvering, assassinating, backstabbing, etc, with the occasional ice zombie or dragon thrown in. Also, a great website related to the series: www.towerofthehand.com . I wasted a couple of days there, it's highly recommended for other fans of this series.

No comments: